JohnTem82387976

19 April 2017

Drew Ross - Close Your Eyes And Go To Sleep/ Let It Be



Label: CBS
Year of Release: 1970

In common with almost all the solo artists I seem to be finding singles by at the moment, I really can't find a scrap of information on Drew Ross. I know that he had two 45s out on CBS, this one and the 1971 follow-up "I'm Going Home". I know that both records sold poorly and are difficult to find copies of these days. Beyond that... nothing. Nowt. Nada. Zip. My best guess would be that he was a keen cabaret/ working man's club performer who got the chance to release a couple of singles on a major label, but that's based on the laws of probability rather than the conclusive results of my research.

I can't speak with any confidence about any of his other recordings, but "Close Your Eyes..." is really rather good. It starts off with a similar pounding gusto to Love Affair's "Everlasting Love" and continues in a similar plastic Northern Soul vein. Packed with optimistic brassy blasts and bouyant drumming, it's actually something of a tonic - a skippy, bouncy record, and the kind of bright, immediate sixties pop that absolutely nobody seems to be either attempting to emulate or take seriously anymore. It could have been a hit at the time, but quite clearly wasn't.

The flip is a rather pedestrian cover of The Beatles "Let It Be", which really doesn't add anything new to the song, and isn't as worthy of your time. 

If you're Drew Ross, or you know who he is, please do let me know. 



4 comments:

Василий Канарейкин said...

Thank !

Anonymous said...


Many thanks David

Really unknown for me !!

Greetings Albert

Anonymous said...

I think that is a Drew Ross from Inverness who used to sing with a local band called the Flock. He married a local girl called Laura Pagliari and I heard that they were running a hotel on the Black Isle. Some years ago I believe their daughter sang with a group that made it part way on either X Factor or Britains got talent. Just bits and pieces I have picked up through talking to old school friends in Inverness. I left there in 1964 !!

23 Daves said...

Thanks anon... That makes complete sense and is almost certainly correct.